Port Dundas Distillery was established by Daniel McFarlane in 1811 in the Port Dundas area of Glasgow. The area developed rapidly into an industrial complex which included three distilleries all named Port Dundas. The first was established in 1811, the second in 1813 and the third operated for just a short period during the late 1830s. In 1845 both operating distilleries were producing grain spirit and in that year both installed Coffey stills. In 1877 they amalgamated and by 1885 Port Dundas Distillery had developed into the largest distillery in the world and was processing corn and barley and rye, and importing grain from America. In 1886 the distillery was operating with two malt kilns and five grain kilns, thirty-five washbacks, three Coffey stills and five pot stills. In 2010 port Dundas Distillery closed and demolition began shortly thereafter.