Construction of Glenlochy Distillery began at Inverlochy on the north-eastern side of Fort William in 1898 and production commenced in 1901. With its own railway siding connecting with the newly opened Fort William railway line this distillery was well placed to supply southern markets. Snow and rain water draining from the slopes of Scotland's highest mountain provided water for Glenlochy. Closed in 1983 and dismantled in 1986 although a number of distillery buildings are still standing having been converted to private accommodation. The only official releases of Glenlochy single malt whiskey were in Diageo's Rare Malts range but it may be found in the Gordon & MacPahil Rare Old series.