Filter

Glenesk Distillery

Glenesk Distillery

Glenesk Single Malt Whiskey

Glenesk Distillery was constructed in 1896 in a former flax bleaching works to supply spirit to the Dundee wine merchant James Ingles. It sat beside a mill lade by the River Esk and was originally named Highland Esk. Malt whiskey was distilled up until 1938 when Coffey stills were installed and its name changed to Montrose Distillery. The Coffey stills were removed and pot stills installed in 1964 and with a further name change it became Hillside Distillery. In 1980 whilst operating with four stills it was known as Glen Esk but in 1985 it closed and having been demolished in 1996 is now a lost Highland distillery. Available in the Gordon & MacPhail Rare Old range.