John Bald established Caresbridge malt distillery in 1798 on the edge of Alloa. By the 1820s it was producing both malt and grain whiskey but during the 1850s was converted to a grain distillery following installation of a Coffey continuous still. Two Coffey still were operational by 1886 and a third was installed around 1966. By the mid 1960s this was one of the largest working distilleries in Scotland. Carsebridge closed in 1983 and most of its buildings were demolished in 1992 and thereby is a lost Lowland grain distillery.