John Bald established Caresbridge malt distillery between 1799 and 1804 on the edge of Alloa just a short distance from the northern shore of the River Forth. Conveniently located to exploit abundant supplies of local coal, water, barley and peat, and nearby harbour facilities. Carsebridge Distillery was converted to a grain distillery in 1852 following installation of a Coffey continuous still. Two Coffey still were operational by 1886 and a third was installed around 1966, thus by the mid 1960s . Carsebridge Distillery was one of the largest working distilleries in Scotland. Carsebridge Distillery closed in 1983 and most of the structure was demolished in 1992 although Carsebridge Cooperage continued to operate until closure in 2011. Carsebridge Distillery is a lost Scottish Lowland grain distillery.