Benromach Distillery was designed by Charles C. Diog and constructed at Forres in 1898 and was due to commence production in 1899. But demand for scotch collapsed when the principle purchaser of Benromach’s malt whisky Pattison‘s of Leith went bankrupt and Benromach Distillery sat silent as the next decade rolled by. Intermittent production followed until major investment and refurbishment in the 1960s and 1970s turned Benromach into a thoroughly modern Speyside malt whisky distillery, only to close again in 1983. Ten years later it was purchased by the independent bottler Gordon and MacPhail who fired up its single pair of stills in 1998 and nurtured Benromach ever since. Benromach Distillery welcomes visitors into the Benromach Distillery visitor centre, offers distillery tours and is a participant in the Spirit of Speyside Whisky Festival.