Tamdhu Distillery was founded in 1896, designed by Charles Doig and opened in 1897 in Scotland’s Speyside whisky region. Tamdhu Distillery was originally equipped with two stills which increased to four in 1972 and then six in 1975 in order to cope with the ever increasing demand for Famous Grouse and Cutty Sark blends of scotch to which Tamdhu was a major contributor. When the nearby railway station closed in 1965 the ticket office was subsequently converted into the Tamdhu Distillery visitor centre and the distillery became a founding member of the Speyside Whisky Trail. But the Tamdhu Distillery visitor centre closed and then Tamdhu Distillery itself in March 2010 and with it the last working Saladin malting boxes in Scotland. A year later and Ian Macleod Distillers purchased Tamdhu Distillery, and thus its working life is assured.